Monday, October 22, 2012


Reflection

Last week, I observed a language class in American Language Institute. The class was about presentations on art given by English learners. Off the top of my head, the tool I could think of was PowerPoint. I was not surprised because all of the students did use PowerPoint as their only disposal. I think it is a good thing that nowadays, teachers have included PowerPoint as part of their lesson plans. However, it seems that the use of technology in a classroom has never gone beyond the use of PowerPoint, even though various kinds of technology have been designed to help facilitate teaching.

The reality may sound frustrating, and yet, it is an expected one, considering the fact that the spread and adoption of PowerPoint has actually taken a very long time. After learning so much about teaching related technology, I assume enough technology has been invented. The issue we really have to think about and work out is how we can promote and pitch all the new technology to teachers; so much so that they will be willing to put it into practice in real classroom settings. Humans have tendency to staying put and are not used to trying out new things. But, we must spare no pains to make a change; otherwise, the meaning of technology is lost.

I hope I can be an advocate to rally for the use of new technology in classroom teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment