Saturday, September 29, 2012


Instructive method in learning English

In this week’s class, I have learned a very effective and creative way to teach English to speakers of other languages. That is to improve listening skill by means of video.

The detailed version of this method is like this. Firstly, I play some tidbits from a movie with its sound muted. By doing this, English learners can only acquire information from the pictures. It is like they are watching a silent movie. When the tidbits are finished, I can ask them to guess what the plot is about. They can only divine what is going on in the movie from all the settings and expressions of the characters. But it’s ok because the key is that certain expectations have now arisen and cropped up and they are willing to watch those tidbits again to find out what the characters are really talking about. The cultivation of the attitude of being active is really vital in a lot of teaching approaches. Only when they want to learn will learners learn. Up next, I play the video again with the sound this time to let the learners decide whether the content lives up to their expectation. By listening carefully and intensively, they are gaining a large amount of input. Since the theory of input hypothesis has been carried out, there is no doubt that it is going to be comparatively easy to develop other skills. I can organize them into several groups to discuss and role play the plots in the movie which equals output process. Certain cultural aspects will be instilled into them from the movie and become the topics of their group discussions or their written assignments after class.

So, this is one English learning method executed with the help of video related equipment. Overall, my point is that technology has not only changed ways of teaching but created innovative ways as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment