Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Where would you like to live
I would like to live in Taipei, which is the capital of Republic of China.
Separated from mainland China by a narrow strait, Taiwan reserves and retains the most idiomatic and complete Chinese traditions.
Take Chinese characters for instance. Taiwanese people nowadays still use traditional Chinese writing system, while in China, a simplified Chinese writing method has been adopted which, to some extent, has undermined Chinese culture. Young people have no idea how to write or even read traditional Chinese characters. This is really sardonic because Chinese people can’t write real Chinese words!
Besides, Taoism and Confucius views are still essential parts of Taiwanese society. Although the same materials are taught in China, they are only restricted in class. In contrast, these principles can be seen in every corner in Taiwan. People treat others with decency and courtesy, hospitable to new comers from different countries. However, in communist China, most of the cultural aspects have been replaced with greed and selfishness due to imbalanced economic development.
Western style democracy is the other phenomenon I admire. Taiwan is one of only a few countries in Asia that boast the most authentic democracy. As is known to all, democracy makes a nation progress. That is the main reason why it has one of the lowest rates of corruption and one of the freest media environments in the world. I personally adore this kind of democracy and wish I could cast a vote sometime in the future.
In a word, I am a total supporter of traditional Chinese values and democracy. Taiwan has the perfect combination of those two elements. They are the motivation that attract me to live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment