Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Use of PowerPoint in Classroom Teaching


The Use of PowerPoint in Classroom Teaching

Nowadays, technology has developed so fast that it only takes a decade for human beings to leap from a relatively primitive life to a sophisticated lifestyle full of gadgets and other high tech novelties. It has brought so many benefits to both our life and work. Gradually, teachers have adopted some kinds of high end tech products in classroom teaching. One of those products frequently used by teachers is PowerPoint.

PowerPoint is invented by Microsoft to facilitate the process of presentation. When I graduate and become an English teacher in two years, I will make full use of it. I will list some important points from last class to help my students review what they have learnt. When it comes to listening practices, I will embed the sound bites in PowerPoint and play it to my students. Then, some questions appear in PowerPoint regarding that listening material which will lead to students’ brainstorm. If necessary, I will play that sound bite again for them to get more details out of it. When they get all the right answers, it means they have passed the listening test!

As for speaking section in class, I will paste some pictures in PowerPoint to let students illustrate and explain what these pictures are about. I will also join in the topics and talk with them so that the speaking practice is not only about airing their opinions but about participating in natural and daily conversations as well, which is the essence of Audiolingual method.

Grammar itself is a boring subject, but I will make it as easy and simple as possible by means of PowerPoint. I will bullet point primary rules and display some corresponding exercises in PowerPoint so that they can absorb those rules as soon as possible. If students are correct, happy faces will show up in PowerPoint which will serve as reinforcement and boost their confidence.

Students can use PowerPoint at their disposal to reach full potential as well. I can assign some topics to them and let them prepare presentations. They will do the presentations next time. The preparation means they will practice English outside classroom, not restricted to in class teaching.

In a word, I think PowerPoint can help me with my teaching methods in the future.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment